Saturday, October 12, 2013

Hope in Brokenness



This world is so broken. I currently find myself surrounded by malnourished children, homeless boys that have run to living on the streets to avoid worse conditions at home; I am surrounded by extreme poverty, evidence of abuse (physical, emotional and from substance use), homelessness, and chaos. I am surrounded by brokenness. 

And yet, I am also surrounded by hope. A hope not found because myself or because of other people; but a hope found in this world because of God alone. God who lives, and is continually restoring and redeeming broken things, people and circumstances.


David said it best in Psalm 27:13-14:

“I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the LORD.”


I would without a doubt despair if I didn’t see the tangible evidence of our living God working all around me. Yes, the tangible evidence of our living GOD restoring broken things, restoring this broken world through the power of the Holy Spirit indwelling each of His saints. God has a way of birthing HOPE out of BROKENNESS. 

He makes beauty come forth out of broken people, broken circumstances, and broken places. He started this beauty-making work, this redemptive work, the moment Adam and Eve took that first bite. Since then, He has been restoring His broken people, and the broken circumstances that have resulted from our brokenness. Jesus, our HOPE, was birthed out of all this brokenness, to bring HOPE, and to bring victory. Praise God that we are not left alone in the brokenness, rather, He has made a path to HOPE through the brokenness. 

Read Matthew Chapter 1, the genealogy of Jesus. Scan through the list of names. Warning: you'll see evidence of a lot of brokenness. Do you see the name of Rahab, the prostitute? How about David and Bathsheba and their son Solomon born out of an extra-marital affair and amidst lies and deception? Even Judah, the man who sold his own brother Joseph into slavery to the Egyptians (in fact, it was even his idea), and slept with his daughter-in-law, who gave birth to yet another name on that list in Matthew Chapter 1, Perez. God’s own Son, the perfect man, was born out of all this brokenness. 

That fills me with HOPE. When I look around me, I see a lot of brokenness. I feel a lot of brokenness. Abuse, depression, divorce, war, pain, preventable deaths and diseases, malnutrition, poverty, homelessness, terrorism, bullying, fear. But also, when I look around, I see a lot of beauty. Hope, love, friendships, community, laughter, a struggling teacher opening her home for a homeless student, a formerly abused boy offering unconditional love to a stranger living on the streets, a hungry child sharing what little food she has with classmates, a generation rising up out of my friends to selflessly serve and love the communities wherever they find themselves, at home or away. 

God loves His broken people despite our brokenness and our broken world. Our broken circumstances break God’s heart more that we could potentially ever know. He sees the starving single mom and weeps, the boy being abused and moans, the teenager mocked and wresting with depression and cries out. He sees all these things, and He doesn't just sit passively by, He reacts. He reacts to this brokenness by bringing HOPE. God is continually working through the brokenness, He is using His saints, His Holy Spirit-empowered and led saints to make all things new, to do His will and bring His kingdom to earth as it is in heaven. He calls us to fight this brokenness, to love our neighbors as ourselves, and not just sit by, He calls us to react with the power of the Holy Spirit.

If you look around you and only see brokenness, hurt and pain, take heart, Christ has overcome the pains and death of this world, and is alive even now, He is alive in you and He is alive in me.  

There is darkness and pain in this world, but we don’t have to just stand by and watch them continue on. We have the power to fight back, the power to proclaim HIS victory in every broken person, circumstance, and place.

Just say YES to Him today, YES to His Holy Spirit, YES to making broken things around you beautiful and restored, YES for His kingdom coming and His will being done on earth as it is in heaven through you. Just say YES. Say no to self and selfish ambition, and say YES to HOPE, YES to HIM.


But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in HIM.” Phil 3:7-9a

Trust me, it is totally worth it. There is HOPE in brokenness. 

2 comments:

  1. We're praying for you Ashley!
    Keep being a blessing to the people there. I'm glad to hear that God is at work in and through your life. I know that He will use you mightily for His purposes. Keep trusting even in the tough circumstances - no, especially in them. God's purposes will prevail. His kingdom will come. It is near!
    From IV retreat -Luke10: Pray that the God of the harvest will send out laborers, then go do the work, staying until you have completed your part.
    I praise God for you and your willingness to live as God has called you to live!
    Blessings,
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan for the encouragement! Means a lot. I love that verse, so important to keep the perspective of why we are working at what we are working at whether that be in, oh say Africa or a genetics lab...Would love to hear more about IV retreat sometime, and expect an email from me soon. Praying for you and the rest of the amazing crew today. Miss you all.

      Delete